If you want the freshest juice possible and are willing to do the work yourself, choosing a cold press juice machine is what you want. The choices are many and can be confusing. Very simple models exist if you just want a press for pomegranate juice or apple juice. But if you really want good juice, you need a better machine.
Type of Juicers
There are 2 main types of juicers: Centrifugal (think your blender) and Masticating juice press. Hands down, masticating juicers are better at extracting juice and providing a better consistency. The biggest downfall is the price. You pay for what you get.
What Is Cold Pressed Juice?
Cold pressed juice is the process where fresh food products, such as juice, are preserved using High Pressure Processing as opposed to high heat. It’s by far a better method of juicing. Most cold pressed juices use a hydraulic juice press.
Think of it this way: this is a super-powered orange juice press. It uses pressure, not heat to get the juice out. And you know how great fresh pressed orange juice is!
Using cold pressure at home hasn't been around long, but now we have a variety of options to produce this quality product ourselves.
Pros of Cold Press Juicers
- The high pressure kills bacteria, so your juice will stay contaminant free for about 3 days.
- Better for leafy greens, grasses, sprouts and herbs.
- Higher, more consistent juice yield.
- Preserves enzymes, nutrients, and fibers.
- Your juice is juice, not foam and juice.
- It’s much quieter than your blender.
Cons of Cold Press Juicers
- Higher Price.
- It takes longer to prepare foods and juice them.
What To Look For In Juice Press Machine
When you purchase a juice machine, there are several things to look for and see if they fit into your life.
- First, make sure it’s a cold-press machine. If it doesn't say it, it’s not.
- If you want to juice nuts, herbs, grasses (wheat-grass), and tough greens, choose a model rated for these things. Most will state plainly they can or cannot handle these tougher foods.
- Be sure you can use the machine. Some of them are quite simple and others are more complex. If you aren't into the technical aspects, avoid the fancy machines.
- Make sure it’s easy to disassemble and clean.
- In addition, test the thing or watch a YouTube video on it. You don’t want to wake everyone when you make your juice first thing in the morning. You don’t want to find it’s complicated to use.
- All of the features should be plainly listed for you to review. Do your research (hey, you’re here, so you are already doing that) and make sure it fits your life. Check out the cold press juicer reviews to make sure others enjoy using it. Nothing is worse than buying an expensive machine and not using it.
Cold Press Juicers
First, there is no best cold press juicer. It really depends on how they fit into your life. Some are best for a beginner, some are more advanced. Some are made for luxury, and some are for heavy use.
The Omega Nutrition Center has great reviews as one of the better, well-rounded juicers. It handles all the herbs, vegetables, and nuts you would want and it’s quiet. It’s not very fast, but it does a good job. It’s a good starter model. It comes in at a reasonable $250 price tag.
The Breville Fountain Crush has been rated one of the best starter models. It’s easy to use, simple, has several safety features, and is easy to clean. It works well on tougher vegetables, but may not work as well as some other juicers with nuts. The top reviews show this model is easy to use and easy to clean as its top features. This model is reasonable at $270.
If you are looking for the most user-friendly model, one that takes up little space, the Hurom Hu-100 juicer is it. It extracts juice well while being the easiest to use. Although it’s more expensive at $300, this juicer takes up much less counter space than any other juicer on the list.
The Green Star Elite ranks as one of the top juicers for strictly vegetables. It has a higher price, too: $550. The reviews from many people show that this machine virtually juices any vegetable to last drop. A downside is this juicer is not as easy to clean, requiring a brush to remove the pulp. Since the juicer produces a virtually dry pulp, you know you extracted all the juice. It also has a 10 year guarantee.
If you are focusing on greens, the Super Angel is best. With a stainless steel finish, this juicer produces high quality juice quickly from tough vegetables. It has 2-stage juicer to provide the most amount of juice. The company states it produces the driest pulp in home use machines. It comes with a bigger price tag: $1100.
The company Norwalk produces juice presses that are high quality. They take the juicing one step further and it allows you to grind herbs, make ice cream, and grind grains. As a top model, this juicer comes in at $2,500. It’s one of the hardiest models you can get until you go into commercial/industrial models.
There are industrial juice press machines out there. They are far bigger and are capable of far more than these little juicers. But, they come with a huge price tag, far outside of normal people’s budgets. If you just want some juice at home, enough for the day, stick with a home model.
When it comes to juicers, it depends on your juicing preference and how often you will use your juicer. We recommend that you start off with a beginner’s model if you haven’t juiced before. If you have been juicing a while, we recommend you start with a mid-range to high end model. Serious juicers definitely want better quality, faster juicing times, and easy cleaning.
If you liked our article, please share it and use the comment section below for any questions. Thanks!
I will atest to the ease of operation and quality of the Brevile products, not to mention they have amazing customer service. I actually broke the hood of a recently purchased juicer I purchased from them, and when I askd for the replacement cost they, remarkably , replaced it at no cost to me. I have never had issues with any of their products, and they are good to start wih on the Juicing trail.
Hi H. McHenry,
Thank you for your comment. It is great to know that Breville has such a great customer service.