Lemon is one of the smallest and most commonly used citrus fruits. Being the smallest does not prevent lemon from holding the largest amount of health benefits among citrus fruits. Lemons are a great source of Vitamin C, they contain no cholesterol and act as natural preservatives because of the amounts of citric acid in them.
Lemons are used widely in culinary. Lemon juice is a part of many desert recipes, it is an integral part of almost any salad and it takes part in a large variety of savory dishes. Adding lemon to tea or water is also a very common practice.
Is Lemon Water Healthy?
Lemon water consumption can have a major effect on your health. Although it is mostly positive, it is important to understand how lemon juice and water affect your body. Keep on reading and find out what are the health benefits of lemons and lemon water. What are the daily recommended quantities of lemons for an ordinary person, and what can be the possible side effects of drinking lemon water.
Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
Since lemons can offer enormous amounts of health benefits, we can expect water with lemon to also be beneficial for your health. The vitamins B and C, found in lemons are water soluble. Which means that adding lemons to water, actually increases the absorption of those vitamins.
- Lemons contain nutrients that help fight infections. Therefore drinking water with lemon juice can improve your immune system.
- Lemons have an important role in cleaning the body from toxins. Drinking warm lemon water in the morning is a great way to detoxify your body.
- Lemon juice in water helps digestion by producing digestive juices.
- Lemons and limes are considered to be the richest sources of citric acid. The citric acid in lemons protects against kidney stones.
- Lemon water helps stabilize pH levels in your body. It encourages urine production and helps in preventing urine infections.
A less known fact about lemon water is the effect it has on your skin. Thanks to the amounts of vitamin C in lemons and the hydrating effect of water, lemon water helps prevent wrinkles and skin from aging .
Potassium is one of the minerals lemon is rich in. Because of it, lemons and lemon water have a role in improving brain functions, controlling blood pressure and have a positive effect on the nerve system.
Lemon juice and lemon water is an imperative ingredient in almost any weight loss diet. There are lots of reasons for that. We will discuss most of them in detail, later in this post.
Benefits of Warm Lemon Water
It is best to consume lemon water while it is warm or at a room temperature. Cold water is more difficult for the body to handle and requires much more energy. Hot water is also not a good choice if you want to enjoy the majority of lemon’s health benefits. Hot water kills some of the enzymes and that is also the reason why adding lemons to tea is not as beneficial as drinking water with lemon juice.
Does Drinking Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight?
Does Lemon Water Cleanse the Liver?
As mentioned earlier, drinking lemon water in the morning plays a great role in flushing the toxins from the body. It also helps liver make more enzymes and, as a result, function better.
Side Effects of Drinking Lemon Water?
Although there are so many positives to drinking lemon water it can also cause some negative side effects you should be aware of:
- Lemons and other citrus fruits might trigger migraine. If you consume too many lemons or too much water with lemons you might experience fatigue, headaches and other unwanted detoxification symptoms.
- Although citric acid contained in lemons can do wonders to your body, your teeth are less likely to benefit from it. Consuming too much lemon water can harm your tooth enamel. However there are methods to prevent lemon juices from harming your teeth. Drinking your lemon water with a straw is one of those solutions.
How Much Lemon Water Should I Drink?
It is recommended to drink water with 1/2 to 1 lemon each day, depending on your weight. If you are over 150 pounds then you may use a hall lemon, if you are under then 1/2 lemon a day is the safest choice.
Is Lemon Water the Same as Lime Water?
Although lemons and limes are visually different, they share most of the same nutrients and will give your water the same health benefits. Drinking lime water is as good as drinking lemon water.
How to Make Lemon Water?
Just squeezing lemon juice to a glass/bottle of water will do the trick. When squeezing your lemons, make sure to keep the seeds out of your water, since those are not very good for your health. It is not recommended using a concentrated lemon juice as it can not offer the same amount of vitamins and minerals.
There are different ways you can go about getting the most juice out of your lemon. In case you don’t have a citrus juicer, you can just use your hands to get the juice out of your lemon. Next best thing is a lemon squeezer* which can be a quick and easy solution for getting juice from one lemon every morning.
If you liked our article, please share it and use the comment section below for any questions. Thank You!